Whatever living room lighting ideas you choose they have to work in so many different scenarios. One minute your living room is host to movie marathons and the next transformed into a place for reading, homework, and intensely competitive board games.
That means there are quite a few factors to consider when looking for lounge lighting ideas. In general, living room lighting tends to fall into three types: accent, task, and ambient (overhead).
But within those basic requirements, you are pretty much free to play fast and loose with your lighting – enter our lighting ideas below.
- 1 1. Make a Statement With Mid-Century Modern Design
- 2 2. Visual Comfort Gisela Globe Pendant Light
- 3 3. Tuck the Lampshade
- 4 4. Phoebe Stacked Table Lamp in Antiqued White
- 5 5. Frederick Metal X Tabel Lamp in Verdigris
- 6 6. Spikey Tabel Lamp
- 7 7. Trove Modern Pendant
- 8 8. Enya Chandelier
- 9 9. Mayotte Grande Arc Floor Lamp
- 10 10. Lourdes Floor Lamp
- 11 11. Valeo Led Floor Lamp
- 12 12. Choose A Steel Pendant Lamp For an Industrial Look
- 13 13. Create A Gallery Wall With Living Room Lighting
- 14 14. Carmina 1-Light Globe Pendant
- 15 15. Halifax Large Table Lamp
- 16 16. Valentino Modern Rustic Light Square
- 17 32. Vintage Floor Lamp Ideas for Living Room
- 18 33. Startling Floor Lamp Ideas
- 19 34. 60’s Living Room Lighting
- 20 35. Decorative 3 Lamps Metal Floor Lamp Ideas
- 21 36. Yellow Tripod Floor Lamp for Living Room
1. Make a Statement With Mid-Century Modern Design
Want to get that Mid-century modern look in your living room? Invest in a standout chandelier or statement pendant light. Anything with oversized round bulbs and a sculptural design will inject that Mad Men vibe into your living room.
2. Visual Comfort Gisela Globe Pendant Light
The traditional globe pendant gets a glamorous refresh with an exposed miniature candelabra and textured glass ribbons.
3. Tuck the Lampshade
A dripping glazed detail turns this classic gourd lamp into a dramatic work of art
4. Phoebe Stacked Table Lamp in Antiqued White
Stacked marble rings make a stunning and sturdy statement on this museum-worthy lamp. Place two on a sofa table for symmetry and twice the beauty.
5. Frederick Metal X Tabel Lamp in Verdigris
The verdigris base is like an emerald ring for your room. Based on the surroundings its style could veer vintage or modern, but it is always stunning.
6. Spikey Tabel Lamp
The spiky details on this ceramic lamp add edge. The stark white color and Lucite base keep it classy.
7. Trove Modern Pendant
In a smaller room or as a second light source, this simple beauty will glow softly during a cozy night in.
8. Enya Chandelier
This dramatic piece will make any living room shine with style. The frosted glass diffuses the light to create an ambient glow.
9. Mayotte Grande Arc Floor Lamp
With elegant angles, this swan-neck beauty will set a glamorous scene next to a tufted chaise or fainting sofa.
10. Lourdes Floor Lamp
This burnt-copper creation is giving us top-to-bottom gorgeousness. The halo-like reflector is heavenly, while the base resembles the earthy canyons of Utah
11. Valeo Led Floor Lamp
This oversized piece is perfect for a space with a soaring ceiling. The walnut lamp, aluminum shade, and LED light source was designed for its modern style and energy-efficiency.
12. Choose A Steel Pendant Lamp For an Industrial Look
We’ve been obsessed with industrial-inspired interiors for a long time and love the idea of incorporating this pared-back look in our living room lighting.
Oversized metallic pendant lights, like this Keats Pendant from Neptune, instantly bring that vibe into a room, plus they make for great ambient lighting. Just be aware the light they produce can be harsh, so level it out with soft spotlights and warmer accent lights.
13. Create A Gallery Wall With Living Room Lighting
We love this living room lighting idea! For a really quirky take on a gallery wall, introduce some interesting wall lights. These wall lights from Curiousa & Curiousa make a bold statement but their resemblance to wall plates keeps the overall look from being too wacky.
14. Carmina 1-Light Globe Pendant
Fashion meets home with this ball-and-chain pendant. The glam-rock vibe is reminiscent of a ’90s Versace dress.
15. Halifax Large Table Lamp
Perforated holes are a delicate detail on this hefty antique-inspired lamp. Flank a low linen sofa with a pair for a relaxed, earthy vibe.
16. Valentino Modern Rustic Light Square
The Sputnik shape makes this light retro, the iron cage makes it industrial, and the entire piece is just gorgeous.
17. CALDAS FLOOR LAMP
This angled beauty is giving a supermodel attitude. Let it strike a pose to illuminate a dim corner.
18. STAGGERED GLASS 5-LIGHT FLOOR LAMP
The staggered orbs float like blown bubbles on this playful floor lamp.
19. AERIN BONNINGTON MEDIUM FLUSH-MOUNT
While a crystal flush-mount is not the obvious choice for a living room, this sparkling gem will turn your ceiling into a main attraction.
20. BARBARA BARRY LOTUS FLOOR LAMP
With curves in all the right places, this gilded lamp makes a dainty statement. Pair it in a room with cream furniture for a classically sophisticated design scheme.
21. PHOTOGRAPHY ARC FLOOR LAMP
This is the lamp of our luxurious dreams! As the Birkin of the lighting world, it wants you to see and be seen.
22. CLEO FLOOR LAMP
Simple shapes in luxe materials make a striking minimalist statement.
23. MORAN GRAY MARBLE TABLE LAMP
This marble in the rough adds a natural element to a polished room.
24. KELLY WEARSTLER STRADA FLUSH-MOUNT CEILING LIGHT
Hand-painted gilt spikes turn this sea creature–Esque fixture into a brilliant beauty. It will turn looking up into an adventure.
25. LISBON TORCHIÈRE
Macaron colors are oh so sweet on this upright torchiere. Place one next to a settee for a chic styling moment.
26. BOBBI CHANDELIER
Branching bubbles look organically enchanting on this atom-inspired fixture. It will add movement and texture to a modern space.
27. EMBRACE MINIMALIST CHIC WITH A PARED-DOWN LAMP
A statement floor lamp needn’t be ornate to be effective as living room lighting. Go for a streamlined design and a nice, metallic finish. Voila, a versatile light that will elevate any living room design. We love the Braque bronze floor lamp from Curious Egg. Simple and stunning.
28. SOFTEN THE EDGES WITH WARM WALL LIGHTS
Creating a warm, even glow around the edges of your living room is key, especially if you are working with a north-facing living room. Introducing wall lights into your living room lighting will help bounce light back into the room, making it feel cozier and giving the room more depth than overhead lights.
They are also a good option if you have a small living room because they won’t take up any precious square footage or clutter surfaces.
29. Modern floor lamp ideas with stainless steel bridge arm and shade
30. Alluring floor lamps with green shades and stands
31. NEED TRADITIONAL LIVING ROOM LIGHTING? GO FOR ORNATE SCONCES
Wall lights don’t have to just blend into the background, if you prefer a traditional style in your living room opt for something more decorative. We love how the intricate design of this oak inspired wall light from Neptune fits perfectly in this simple grey living room.
32. Vintage Floor Lamp Ideas for Living Room
33. Startling Floor Lamp Ideas
34. 60’s Living Room Lighting
35. Decorative 3 Lamps Metal Floor Lamp Ideas
36. Yellow Tripod Floor Lamp for Living Room
37. If in Doubt, String up The Fairy Lights
Fairy lights: the secret weapon of any interior novice, they are most definitely the easiest (and cheapest) way to create some ambience with your living room lighting. String them up over picture frames, along mantelpieces or around windows for some modern day candle light.
We love these Festoon Lights from Lights4fun. The micro fairy lights inside means that you get a warm glow rather than the bright light that you often get with carnival lights, plus the brass details are calling to us.